Innovative Choir Leading (MA)
The Innovative Choir Leading programme is a 2-year graduate programme focusing on contemporary forms of expression and methodology, and on developing your personal and professional competences as a rhythmic choir leader.
120 ECTS – full-time study
The programme is associated with the RAMA Vocal Center at campus Aalborg; an internationally recognized center of ‘Innovative Choir Leading’ created by Professor Jim Daus Hjernøe.
How do you make vocal music sound just ‘right’ when it comes to styles such as pop, rock, jazz, gospel, world, improvisation, and vocal painting? Many choirs and a cappella groups face this challenge in rehearsal as well as in performances featuring these musical styles.
The Innovative Choir Leading studies provides the answers to meet this challenge, where choir directors from all over the World attend as students to be educated by a renowned team of world-class teachers, ensuring the highest pedagogical and artistic level of all.
In some cases, students from abroad will be able to participate in the weekly classes through digital high-speed video conferencing and have a choir available locally. This option adds to the modern and international quality of the programme.
The teacher team has references to Bobby McFerrin, The Real Group, Touché, and Vocal Line, assisted by top guest teachers on e.g. beatboxing by RoxorLoops and concert design by Astrid Vang-Pedersen.
- The Intelligent Choir philosophy & Vocal Painting by professor Jim Daus Hjernøe
- Singers’ Tools by honorary professor Peder Karlsson
- Conductors’ Toolbox by assistant professor Jesper Holm
- Arranging & Interpretation Tools by assistant professor Malene Rigtrup
Tuition includes the minor subjects ear training, theory of improvisation, rhythm and coordination, vocal studies, piano, voice theory, arranging, entrepreneurship, pedagogy, ensemble singing, RAMA Voices (as a singer), and an elective flex subject.
For all students, 8 boot camps per academic year are mandatory to join in person on Campus Aalborg (Monday to Friday). That will be 3 boot camps in the fall semester and 5 in the spring semester. These are supplemented by weekly classes, which in some cases can be joined via video conference. See dates for boot camps here.
In addition, live coaching sessions via video conferencing in “music mode”, 4 times per academic year per student, where students bring their teacher and fellow students to watch and supervise a choir rehearsal “live”, no matter where in the world you are.
Find a detailed description here.
The admission test is designed to provide a full picture of the musical background and teaching skills of the applicant. Part of the teaching takes place via video conferencing, where students and teachers meet from different countries, which is why the admission test can naturally be conducted via video conferencing. This is optional.
The admission test consists of 2 different parts:
1) Choir leading (30 minutes). The applicant works with a mid/upper-level vocal ensemble consisting of a minimum of 12 singers and a minimum of 4 voice parts. It is optional if you want to show up in person on campus Aalborg with your own vocal ensemble or conduct the admission test via a video recording.
2) Interview, voice- and piano test (30 minutes). In connection with the interview, a test in piano and singing will be conducted.
- The application deadline for registration for the admission test in January is December 1, 2019. Apply digitally here.
- Information meeting about the actual admission test in January takes place via video conferencing on Friday, December 6, 2019, from 14-15h. Here we give advice and guidance and there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
- No later than Friday, December 13, 2019, the applicant submits his/her thoughts concerning planning and content of the admission test (description of the choir and chosen repertoire) to the study administration. Copy of material (scores, lyrics, etc.) to be used for the admission test must be submitted as a pdf.
- If you conduct the admission test via video conferencing, the set assignment will be assigned on Friday, January 3, 2020. Then you have until Sunday, January 12, 2020, to record a total video of 30 minutes, including all admission test requirements regarding choir leading (not the voice- and piano test). Deadline for submission of the video is Sunday, January 12, 2020.
- If you conduct the entrance exam on campus Aalborg, the set assignment will be available on Friday, January 17, 2020. You must bring your own vocal ensemble for the admission test on Friday, January 24, 2020.
- The interview, voice- and piano test takes place on Friday, January 24, 2020. It is optional to show up on campus Aalborg or via video conferencing.
Questions regarding the admission test and signing up can be asked study coordinator Anne Vilsen on [email protected] / tel. +45 72 267 482
Questions regarding the pedagogical and artistic content of the study can be asked professor Jim Daus Hjernøe on [email protected]
Questions regarding the studies in general in Aalborg can be asked head of studies Esben Elvstrøm on [email protected] / tel. +45 72 267 484
Visit the RAMA Vocal Center.