Professional Master in Innovative Choir Leading
The professional master course is for music teachers and others with a passed music education containing choir conducting at a bachelor level or equivalent qualifications with at least two years relevant professional experience with choir conducting.
60 ECTS – part-time study
The programme is associated with the RAMA Vocal Center at campus Aalborg; an internationally recognized center of ‘Innovative Choir Leading’ created by Professor Jim Daus Hjernøe.
How do you make vocal music sound just ‘right’ when it comes to styles such as pop, rock, jazz, gospel, world, improvisation, and vocal painting? Many choirs and a cappella groups face this challenge in rehearsal as well as in performances featuring these musical styles.
The Innovative Choir Leading studies provides the answers to meet this challenge, where choir directors from all over the World attend as students to be educated by a renowned team of world-class teachers, ensuring the highest pedagogical and artistic level of all.
The teacher team has references to Bobby McFerrin, The Real Group, Touché, and Vocal Line, assisted by top guest teachers in beatboxing and concert design.
- The Intelligent Choir philosophy & Vocal Painting by professor Jim Daus Hjernøe
- Singers’ Tools by honorary professor Peder Karlsson
- Conductors’ Toolbox by assistant professor Jesper Holm
- Arranging & Interpretation Tools by assistant professor Malene Rigtrup
Furthermore, these classes are offered: Methodology, masterclasses, big choir, voice by Sus Steensig, voice theory by Signe Højmark, piano by Jens Nørholm, ear training/theory by Martin Granum, move & groove by Lene Nørgaard, pedagogy by Øyvind Lyngseth, beatboxing by RoxorLoops and concert design by Astrid Vang-Pedersen.
The programme is a part-time study programme consisting of four semesters and corresponds to one study year of 60 ECTS. The programme will take place at RAMA Vocal Center Campus Aalborg and via online video conferencing.
In practice, this means that as a student you have three intensive teaching courses per semester for two years at boot camps in Aalborg, which runs from Thursday-Saturday (find dates at the bottom of the page). In between, you will meet in study groups via online video conferencing to get supervision and feedback from your teachers and fellow students, based on video recordings of rehearsals with your choir.
The admission test is designed to provide a full picture of the musical background and teaching skills of the applicant. Part of the teaching takes place via video conferencing, where students and teachers meet from different countries, which is why the admission test is naturally conducted via video conferencing.
The admission test consists of two parts
Part one: Choir leading (30 minutes). The applicant works with his/her own mid/upper-level vocal ensemble consisting of a minimum of 12 singers and a minimum of 4 voice parts. This is conducted via video recording.
Part two: Interview, voice- and piano test (30 minutes). In connection with the interview, a test in piano and singing will be conducted. It is optional to show up in person on campus Aalborg or via video conferencing.
- The application deadline for registration for the admission test in May is April 14, 2020. Apply online here.
- Information meeting about the actual admission test in May takes place via video conferencing on Friday, April 17, 2020, from 14-15h. Here we give advice and guidance and there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
- No later than Monday, April 20, 2020, the applicant submits his/her thoughts concerning planning and content of the admission test with a description of the choir and chosen repertoire. A copy of the material (scores, lyrics, etc.) to be used for the admission test must be submitted as a pdf.
- The set assignment will be assigned on Friday, April 24, 2020. Then you have until Sunday, May 3, 2020, to record a non-edited “one-time-through” video of 30 minutes, including all admission test requirements regarding choir leading (not the voice- and piano test). Deadline for submission of the video is Sunday, May 3, 2020.
- The interview, voice- and the piano test take place on Monday, May 18, 2020. It is optional to show up in person on campus Aalborg or via video conferencing.
All information will be provided via e-mail by Anne Vilsen
Dates for Boot Camps
Questions regarding the admission test and signing up can be asked study coordinator Anne Vilsen on [email protected] / tel. +45 72 267 482
Questions regarding the pedagogical and artistic content of the study can be asked professor Jim Daus Hjernøe on [email protected]
Questions regarding the studies in general in Aalborg can be asked head of studies Esben Elvstrøm on [email protected] / tel. +45 72 267 484