Professional Master in Innovative Choir Leading
The professional master course is for music teachers and others with a passed music education containing choir conducting at a bachelor level or equivalent qualifications with at least two years relevant professional experience with choir conducting.
60 ECTS – part-time study within two years
The programme is associated with the RAMA Vocal Center at campus Aalborg, an internationally recognized center of Innovative Choir Directing headed by Professor Jim Daus Hjernøe.
How do you make vocal music sound just ‘right’ when it comes to styles such as pop, rock, jazz, gospel, world, improvisation, and vocal painting? Many choirs and a cappella groups face this challenge in rehearsal and performances featuring these musical styles.
The Innovative Choir Directing studies provides the answers to meet this challenge, where choir directors from all over the world attend as students to be educated by a renowned team of world-class teachers, ensuring the highest pedagogical and artistic level.
The teacher team references Bobby McFerrin, The Real Group, Touché, and Vocal Line, assisted by top guest teachers in beatboxing and concert design.
- The Intelligent Choir philosophy & Vocal Painting by professor Jim Daus Hjernøe
- Singers’ Tools by honorary professor Peder Karlsson
- Conductors’ Toolbox by assistant professor Jesper Holm
- Arranging & Interpretation Tools by assistant professor Malene Rigtrup
Furthermore, these curricula offer classes in methodology, masterclasses, big choir, voice by Sus Steensig, voice theory by Signe Højmark, piano by Jens Nørholm, ear training/theory by Martin Granum, move & groove by Lene Nørgaard/Signe Højmark, pedagogy by Øyvind Lyngseth, and guest lectures like fx. beatboxing and concert design.
The programme is a part-time study programme consisting of four semesters and corresponds to one full study year of 60 ECTS.
The programme will take place on three-day boot camps (IRL) at RAMA Vocal Center Campus Aalborg three times per semester and online video conferencing every Monday morning.
Dates for boot camps
A detailed description of the admission test: Click here
The admission test is designed to provide a complete picture of the applicant’s musical background and teaching skills. Part of the teaching takes place via video conferencing, where students and teachers meet from different countries, so the admission test is naturally conducted via video conferencing.
The admission test consists of two parts
Part one: Choir leading (30 minutes). The applicant works with their own mid/upper-level vocal ensemble consisting of 12 singers or more and a minimum of 4 voice parts. This is conducted via video recording.
Part two: Interview, voice- and piano test (30 minutes). In connection with the interview, a test in piano and singing will be conducted. It is optional to show up in person on Campus Aalborg or via video conferencing.
- The application deadline for registration for the admission test in May is 12.04.23. Apply online here.
- Information meeting about the actual admission test in May via video conference on 14.04.23 at 13h. Here we give advice and guidance, and there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
- No later than 17.04.23, the applicant submits their thoughts concerning the planning and content of the admission test with a description of the choir and chosen repertoire. A copy of the material (scores, lyrics, etc.) for the admission test must be submitted as a pdf.
- The set assignment is available from 21.04.23. Then you have a week to record a (non-edited) “one-time-through” video of 30 minutes, including all admission test requirements regarding choir leading (not the voice- and piano test). The deadline for submitting the video is 30.04.23.
- The interview, voice- and piano test will happen on 15.05.23. It is optional to show up in person on Campus Aalborg or via video conferencing.
All information will be provided via e-mail by Anne Vilsen
Questions regarding the admission test and signing up will be answered by study coordinator Anne Vilsen at [email protected] / tel. (+45) 40 21 08 89
Questions regarding the pedagogical and artistic content will be answered by professor Jim Daus Hjernøe at [email protected]
Questions regarding the studies in general in Aalborg will be answered by the head of studies Esben Elvstrøm at [email protected] / tel. (+45) 61 68 69 74